Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I get by with a little help from my friends

Even in bad situations, every now and then you realize that there really is a lot of goodness in others. Case in point, I'm suddenly and without warning out of a job. Now I know that lots of people out there have an "emergency fund" just for these types of things, but I've been working as a travel nurse in order to get out of debt. I haven't been recklessly spending and doing lots of touristy things, instead I've been diligently putting all of my extra pennies towards debt that has been following me around since finishing nursing school. So all of a sudden I'm faced with having no paycheck for at least two to three weeks, the stress of trying to scramble to find something else, and the sadness of having to leave a place that I really have enjoyed. It's been so nice being back in Denver, reconnecting with my friends and former co-workers and just enjoying the more laidback lifestyle to be found here. I also loved my job and was learning a lot and enjoying the people in the NICU here. So not only do I have the financial concern, but there's also just a lot of sadness about this whole deal.

In the midst of all of this, I've been overwhelmed by how generous my friends are. Within the first day I've had three friends kindly offer their spare rooms to me despite their own circumstances. For example, one friend is currently in the hospital on bedrest in premature labor with her twins, another friend has two young children and is starting her PhD next week while working full time, and the third is very pregnant and has a young son allergic to dogs (and I have two) so her husband offered to pay for their kenneling if I stay with them! I have to be thankful to have people like this in my life!! In addition to my friends, even folks who are practically strangers - fellow nurses I've worked with a time or two here in Denver - were offering up their homes and couches to me if I needed a place to stay. So despite being blindsided and feeling a bit depressed and helpless in the situation, it's been a good lesson in the value of those around me.

As for my current plans, I'm still looking for a position and will likely be heading back to the midwest to crash with friends and family until I know where I'm headed next. When all else fails, Mom always says "you can stay with me as long as you need to!" :) Hopefully I'll have something lined up by the end of the week. Til then, I gotta just keep smiling!

No comments: