Thursday, January 10, 2008

Thursday's Trip Down Memory Lane - Band Chics are Cool!

Back by popular demand - I bring you another Thursday trip down memory lane!!

I asked BJ for an idea and he quickly stated, "I believe the internet zeitgeist demands to see you in a band uniform." I knew right away that this might be troublesome, because even though I was in the marching band in junior high and all through high school (the first two years in the flag corps and the last two years as a player) I don't really have any pictures. I think the reason is because I never really wanted my Mom to show up (seriously how uncool is that?!?!) and my awesome polyester band uniform had a great hat and cape, but was sadly devoid of pockets for a camera.

The best that I can come up with is this parade picture from 7th grade (I'm the red head with the cheesy grin because I'm pretty sure my Mom was yelling something like "Hey Jennifer, look over here!")
and me in the band room with my clarinet and my friend Spooky. She played the trombone and I was always jealous because I think brass players got more action ... just an unscientific observation on my part.
So yes, I was in the band, AND I went to band camp, but I refuse to classify myself as a band geek. Mainly because I was a cool band chic. My friends and I were the ones who freshman looked up to - OK maybe they were band freshman, but they were still freshman!! I picked up the clarinet towards the end of 6th grade and played through junior high, then when I moved for high school I put it in the back of my closet. I was in marching band my freshman and sophomore years as a member of the flag corps, and when marching season ended - the band director heard the rumor that i had played the clarinet. After much coaxing he encouraged me to just sit in and play one day since I had study hall that period after marching season ended. I protested that it had been too long, I wouldn't remember anything yada yada, but I agreed to sit and play 3rd part (traditionally the easier part for a clarinet technically). I was shocked at how quickly it came back to me and by the next semester I was first chair (the first player) - though to be truthful there were only three clarinetists so it's not THAT impressive.

I loved my time playing in the band and it was a nice respite from my day of college prep courses of physics, chemistry, pre-calculus and the like. When I graduated high school, I left my clarinet playing behind. I still have it in my closet and one of these days maybe I'll pick it up again and find some community band group to play with for fun. Who knows??

For now, this cool band chic is in retirement.

2 comments:

JCR said...

I LOVE the parade picture. How cute are you!?

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I played the trumpet from 4th to 8th grade. However, I sucked at it. I still can't carry a tune in a bucket.

I was in the choir in college and was actually asked to leave. How bad is that?