Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I am a hero ... at least to dogs!


Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a dog lover and that there are few people in this world that I love more than my dogs.

Tonight, I was driving down a very busy 4 lane street with a nurse friend on my way to see the movie Borat (which by the way is HYSTERICAL! It is wrong and funny all at the same time) when we came to an intersection and cars were inexplicably were slowing down. I'm wondering "what's the problem?" then I saw a blond cocker spaniel looking scared and trotting through the intersection dragging a flexi-leash. Without a thought, in the middle of the intersection I stopped the car, opened the door and called to it "come here" in my high-pitched dog voice. S/he immediately ran over to us and jumped right up into my lap and then perched his/herself on my friend's lap. Directly ahead was a gas station and we saw some frantic looking people so we immediately pulled in. An older woman came running over and we couldn't get the poor shaking pooch to get out of the car because s/he was determined to stay on Amy-Lyn's lap. One of the gas station workers was also there and both of them were pretty sure that the pooch had been clipped by a car prior to our rescue. The poor woman was a mess - apparently she had stopped into the convenience store to get some milk and tied the dog outside but it had gotten loose and ran into traffic. I could totally relate because this is something I could see either of my dogs doing. The dog didn't have any visible injuries, but she did seem to be favoring one of her back legs. We had the woman jump in our backseat and we drove the both of them home.

I was just so glad that the dog was OK because it was night, a very busy street, and the poor guy was even dragging a leash! It might not have been the smartest thing to do (i.e. stop in the middle of the road) but it was an automatic response. I'm just thankful that the dog came when I called to it and jumped in because it would have scarred me for life had I seen it get run over. So I guess I am a hero .... at least to dogs :)

No comments: