Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Job Hunting

Since I am currently without job, the time has come to commence with the job searching. My plan is to start sometime in January which will have made me off work for 4 months! That's crazy! I've never been off for more than three weeks before this!!

The job hunt is usually something that causes great stress and trauma, but finding a job is pretty easy as a nurse and it's more a matter of finding the best fit for my needs. I've applied at two hospitals so far and have had one interview. My big thing is that I'm wanting part-time nights (defined by me as 24 hours or two 12 hour shifts) and I don't want to work straight weekends. If I was all about the money, I'd take a straight weekend position because you get a major monetary incentive for giving up every Saturday and Sunday night. A lot of Moms do this, but I don't think this is for me. My first complaint would be missing all of BJ's free time - weekends are our theoretical fun time (though with a newborn there hasn't been as much free spirited fun as of late!) Second problem is that all of the races I want to do are on weekends so I'd be constantly trying to get off for one thing or another.

As for type of job, I'm kindof feeling that it's time to try something different. I've done NICU since I've been a nurse (4 years) and I wonder what else is out there?? I'm kindof interested in doing labor and delivery or a post-partum/mom-baby unit job. I have some interest in adult critical care (I worked in a trauma/burn ICU in school), but I'm wanting to avoid jobs that have long term patietns. It's one of the things about maternity that appeals - you have the baby and then you go home. Is it wrong that I don't want to see the same patients over and over? Maybe, but it's the part of NICU that was starting to really grate on me, especially when you had "challenging" families.

Anyway, my one interview was for a part-time labor and delivery gig. The schedule would be perfect since it was no weekends at all unless I had an occasional call shift on a weekend night. My biggest concern is that they don't do a lot of business at nights so I think it'd be a lot of sitting around, and then maybe getting some inductions started late at like 5 a.m. I'm one of those people who likes a steady worknight and with a little Gremlin at home, there's no telling how low on sleep I'll be which makes having something to do all night long even more important.

Hopefully, I'll have some other interviews and options to choose from. I'd like to have a job confirmed in the next three weeks.

No comments: