Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Time for a plan

At the moment I am sitting on the couch watching Gremlin play a Star Wars game on playstation (sidenote, it is hysterical how physical he is when playing -jumping, lunging, kicking, holding his controller above his head as if that will make his character do better) while Lil Bit is still singing over the monitor in her crib as she avoids sleeping while the husband is reading.

Life really has changed since getting married and now being a family of four.

We are smack dab in the middle of the Gremlin's summer vacation which means I am doing all I can to remain sane. I'm already rethinking not signing him up for the 4 week summer school session at his wonderful Montessori school which we absolutely LOVE! I'm sure it makes me a crappy parent but he is absolutely happy to spend endless hours watching YouTube or playing games on his ipad or of course playing Lego Avengers or Disney Infinity on PlayStation. I know I should encourage more worthy pursuits but it's Texas and it's freaking hot out and let's face it, at my core I'm fairly lazy. It's something I need to work on, I know.

The two year old is generally the one I have to keep a close eye on. That one is tricksy and prone to finding trouble if she can. Thankfully she goes to daycare two days a week which helps my sanity greatly. I love that girl but she is non-stop and stubborn.

So right now I work two overnights a week at a local NICU and occasionally pick up an extra half or full shift here and there. I also volunteer as an advisor at the local chapter of my college sorority which is often a part-time job in and of itself. I'm also in the process of applying to graduate school as with 20 years of work ahead of me before retirement, I realized that I don't want to spend it doing 12 and 1/2 hour shifts at the hospital.

All that said, there is still plenty of time in the day to waste. Whether it's with binge watching Outlander or The West Wing (yes, I have varied tastes) or simply wasting time on social media and random internet searches, I really could be more productive.

That leads us to my current thought - I need to find the time to exercise again. I've put off "getting back into shape" for too many years. It's just about the way I look but about the way I feel. It's hard enough dealing with aging (shit! I'm in my 40s which means I'm officially middle aged!!!!!) without getting out of breath just running around with the kiddos.

I haven't figured out my game plan because let's face it, a game plan is needed. Obviously it's going to include exercising somewhere, somehow and probably focusing more than a little bit on a healthier diet. I like the idea of doing triathlon again, but it isn't easy to do the swimming and cycling training with a 2 year old. Not to mention it's Texas and it's hotter than . So I'm going to muse on that for a few more days and come back with a game plan. 

Until then, I might need to start blogging more to get back into the habit of writing as I hear grad school involves papers.... ugh.

No comments: