Monday, October 02, 2006

1 Drunk Girl and 2 Guys


Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm NOT your typical chic.
I don't get jealous, I've never been too concerned about marriage, I'm really not into clothes or purses and I've always had guy friends. I firmly denounce the When Harry Met Sally theory that "men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way." Not only have some of my best friends been male, but honestly those friendships in general have been far easier and required less maintenance. I mean face it, men don't get upset if you're out and both wearing the same color of shirt, or if you're 10 minutes late, or if you're speaking to some girl that they once liked in high school. They just don't care that much about the details, and chics?? Well they care - a lot - about really stupid things.

So anyway, in college two of my really good friends were guys. We had all gone to high school together and our buddy Kevin was a favorite because his older sister let us have parties at her apartment - sweet! We didn't go to the same college, but we'd hook up for parties (like St Pat's at Rolla which was outrageous fun back in the day) and one of them was always game for coming to I.S.U. and going to a sorority function with me if I was single. After college, we all were doing the young professional thing in Springfield and feeling rich because we had a little money to spend. Our Wednesday nights were often spent drinking beer, playing Golden Tee golf on playstation, watching South Park, then heading out to a local watering hole. The best part of the deal for me was that when Jenn was drunk and stupid - which I'm not going to lie, was quite often in those days - those boys were like overprotective brothers. They always made sure that I didn't do anything *too* stupid. .... the time I played public spin the bottle then fell off the stage dancing at Broadway?? That doesn't count, I blame DJ Matt Greer for that one! Anyhoo, for the most part they kept me out of trouble and made sure that I made it home ... even if I was missing a shoe and that only happened once. My Mom never worried when I was out with "the boys" as she called them. Even when I was a cute young co-ed going off to St Pat's she knew they would take good care of me. (To explain, Rolla is an engineering school, incredibly overpopulated with males. Mix tons of drunk males who don't see a lot of women and a single chic and beer?? That's like throwing fresh meat to lions)

Of course eventually we all grew up.
Well more accurately THEY grew up, got married, had kids and all that adult stuff while I'm still living like a 25 year old nomad. Time started to get away from us, and suddenly it's been over three years since we all hung out. Luckily there was an event to bring us all together, even better an event of golf and beer! My buddy Rob and his wife hosted a charity golf outing to benefit the American Cancer Society and the Salsich Hoehn Foundation for ovarian cancer. Luckily they didn't make me golf, but I was given a golf cart and beer which is WAY more fun in my opinion. It was great catching up and hanging out like the old days. I have several versions of the top picture from events over the past 15 years ... from St Pat's to one of the many weddings of Kevin's sisters (they're Irish, they have lots of siblings, they throw fun weddings, it's what they do). I like to think that we haven't fundamentally changed over the years - I mean in my mind I definitely still look 22. Despite us now being older, more mature and perhaps wiser, the caption could still be 1 drunk girl and her 2 guy friends.
It was great seeing you!! Hope it doesn't take another 3 years to meet up!!

No comments: