Thursday, September 28, 2006

It's not that I don't like kids ....

As I'm writing this, I'm reminded of why I'm not sure if parenting is for me. My alarm clock is set to go off at 4:45 p.m. (crazy night shift worker who sleeps all day remember?) but for the last hour all I've been able to hear is the noise created by school aged children outside my building. Apparently there's a debate of sorts going on, some whining - perhaps a disagreement on how best to disturb the neighbors? Then there's the loud, unrelenting banging - I'm guessing it's feet kicking a piece of metal or perhaps jumping up and down on something?? Now there's the distinctive "indian style" noise made by yelling and patting your mouth with your hand just so.

In this moment, where I wish I were still sleeping, I REALLY don't like children. I understand that they're having a good time - playing after school, doing what kids will do; and I suppose I should be glad that they're not on a computer or watching TV while eating Ding Dongs. I just wish they weren't so loud and that they were FAR FAR away from my window.

Is this the evils of children or just the evils of apartment living??

No comments: