Saturday, September 16, 2006

Tomorrow's Quest ... 13.1


Despite being ridiculously unprepared, I’m doing the Lewis and Clark half-marathon in St Charles, MO tomorrow. For those unfamiliar with road races, a half-marathon is 13.1 miles and the full mary is 26.2. I have no delusions of being able to “run” it, my plan is to do a run 4 minute/walk 1 minute approach with the hope of pacing somewhere between 12 – 13 minutes per mile. Now had I trained properly and followed my 3 month training plan, I probably would have had a real chance at running the majority of this distance, but all plans fell by the wayside in my move to Virginia. This isn’t an event I’m going to “race,” this is an event I simply want to complete … hopefully upright and without the need for medical attention.
Link
My longest training run was 10 miles and it was an absolutely miserable experience because I had horrible stomach cramps from mile 5 on. I’m just going to keep my fingers crossed that I don’t have any cramps, blisters or other issues that slow me to a crawl.

My cousin Travis is going to be doing the full marathon and a gal who worked with me when she was a nursing student, Michelle, is also doing the half. The race is sold out so hopefully it will be a fun day. I’m also hoping to get a chance to see Dean Karnazes who’s starting the Endurance 50 challenge that day. They’re going to have a booth set up and he’s going to make himself available for autographs and such. If you like biographies, his book Ultramarathon Man is a good read.

So hopefully I’ll make it and there will be a victory posting soon.

No comments: