Sunday, June 25, 2006

Lewis& Clark Half Marathon: Maybe I'm crazy but I signed up anyway!


Coming off the high from my 6 mile run this week I've decided to go ahead and register for a half-marathon. I've chosen the Lewis & Clark half-marathon because 1) it's pretty flat, 2) they keep the course open a long time so even walkers can participate, 3) it's exactly 12 weeks away which fits in perfectly with a 12 week training schedule and 4) the North Face Endurance 50 crew are starting off there. For those not familiar with the North Face Endurance 50, it's a group led by "Ultramarathon Man" author Dean Karnazes (an excellent read by the way) who will be completing 50 marathons, in 50 states in 50 days! The start of his journey is at the Lewis and Clark marathon so it will be cool just to say I was there!!

I've looked over the half-marathon training plan and it's totally doable. I have 2 weeks until my Danskin race so after that I will be focusing mainly on my run training. Once I start lengthening my runs, we'll see if I'm going to adapt a run/walk strategy like the Galloway method. I have no qualms about inserting walk breaks here and there, especially if it gets me through the race strong and injury free. I'm really excited because so far the running has been my favorite part of triathlon training and it just blows my mind to think that I can do this ... because I know that I can!!!!

No comments: