Monday, August 28, 2006

Different Place ... Different Person??

I've been in Virginia just over two weeks and it occurred to me that maybe I'm not the same person when I'm traveling that I am normally. I feel more confident and independent here, having no problem going out to dinner by myself, seeing a movie or being solo at a tourist spot. I almost feel compelled to do these things as opposed to sitting on my butt. Tomorrow, I'm seriously contemplating going to the water park because I LOVE water parks! What kindof 32 year old person goes to a water park by themselves?? (Other than creepy types wanting to stare at women and children in bathing suits?) But why I should forgo the water park just because I don't have anyone to go with me? I'll still have a good time and when I'm on my own, I find I'm even more social with strangers. Like tonight, I went across the street to a local pizzeria and sat at the counter for dinner striking up a conversation with the waitress and a cook. I may be on my own, but that doesn't mean I have to lead a pathetic, lonely type of life. I actually find it liberating to do things on my own, maybe it would be more fun having somebody else to tag along, but it is what it is. I know a lot of people wouldn't be doing this - taking a travel job and living a slightly itinerant life, so I should embrace it because eventually I'm going to want to stop and stay in one place ... maybe buy a little house and start acting like a grown up.

No comments: