Saturday, August 12, 2006

THE MOVE - A Horror Story in 3 Acts

Act 1 :Preparations
First of all, I moved my work schedule around and had every intention of leaving Columbia Wednesday, spending the night in Springfield, then leaving bright and early Thursday morning. This would give me a whole weekend to enjoy in Virginia before starting my job. Well, in true Jenn fashion those plans went horribly astray!

I didn’t leave until Friday because as usual I procrastinated and was literally packing my car and cleaning my duplex at 11 p.m. on Thursday night! I have been so stressed the week its ridiculous and it all could have been avoided by NOT waiting until the last minute. I practically gave away everything I owned on Freecycle (who knew I had so much crap?) and jammed the rest into a storage unit. With care and planning, none of this should have been a problem, but care and planning are not a part of my repertoire. Example of my stupidity … while taking out the trash and waiting for the carpet cleaner to arrive on Thursday I LOCKED MYSELF OUT of my house. Yes, that’s right – it’s 100 degrees and I’m outside frantically wishing that I was a trained criminal, jamming an opened wire hanger into the lock (as if I have any clue what to do with it) and contemplating which window I should break to get in. The keypad on my garage door – which was always my trusty way to get inside - had been on the fritz for a week, and I keep my front door locked religiously which is something I failed to remember as I walked out the front door and pulled it shut to keep my precious air conditioned air in trhe house. I had to call a locksmith and pay him $40 to break me into my own home. Oh, and did I mention that this happened to me earlier in the week?? Only that time, I was lucky enough to have had my patio door unlocked. Let’s just say that I am glad to be living out of my car for the foreseeable future.

No comments: