Tuesday, August 01, 2006

When it has to all fit in one small car, what do you take??

I am making some progress on the packing front which is encouraging. Well in all honesty, I haven't packed so much as I have given away tons of stuff. When faced with the dilemma of taking only a few things and putting the rest into storage, I have decided that there are lots of things that I now need to part with. Hand me down couch and loveseat - gone, various clothing that is several years old and too big for me anyway - gone, things that have remained unused since I moved here from Colorado - gone. If you're ever needing to get rid of stuff, check out Freecycle it's a great network and many people have been very enthusiastic to receive crap that I no longer need. So though I'm not fully packed by any stretch of the word, I have whittled my life down considerably and started to place things I know that I'm not going to need into a storage unit.

The biggest problem I have is in deciding what I need to take with me. First and foremost there is a definite space issue given that all of my life's possession need to fit in my car and since I'm more of a tree hugging sort as opposed to an SUV driving, gas guzzling sort, my car is small to start with. And it's not just packing for me, but packing for the dogs as well. I have a feeling that there's going to be a lot of "we'll just buy that when we get to Virginia" going on because there's just no way to know exactly what I'll need and to fit it. I am a little torn by what to take though. For example, I'm putting my DVDs into storage but what happens when I'm depressed one night and the only thing that will fix it is the perfect Buffy episode? Or watching Dirty Dancing for the thousandth time?? And how about one of those days when I'm feeling nostalgic and I'm wanting to recall a Pi Phi party from 1995 but all of my photos are in Missouri. I don't necessarily mind simplifying my life, but every now and then it's those silly things that bring comfort. And music, I guess I'm going to have to load lots of stuff onto my laptop because when you're in the mood for 1980s Madonna or the Cure's Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me it's gonna have to be accessible. So I think the biggest challenge is going to be deciding what I have to have, what luxuries I want with me, and what things I can do without. I'm sure that there will be lots of moments in Virginia where I'll think "man, I wish I would have brought x" but I'll just have to get over it. When I think about it, my life is pretty simple already. I think I'm a little less burdened by possessions than others so I should think of this as an opportunity for growth. If nothing else, when it's all said and done, I will have replaced all of my older crap with newer crap and isn't that what capitalism is all about??

No comments: