Saturday, May 05, 2007

The Theater Curse is Lifted!!

Well I for one am glad that the theater curse is lifted. Theater curse you ask? What on earth is that?

Well you see my faithful readers, I've only been dumped once in my life ... alright that's a lie! There was that time when I was a freshman and I had a crush on a junior named John Hayes. He went to the other Catholic high school in town and we met over french fries and smokes (it was the 80s - teens smoked!) at the downtown Hardees. We went on one, perhaps two mall dates, and then he decided to "break up with me" and he went with some really ugly girl to prom. Anyway, I think I requested a George Michael song for him on the local call-in "love show," wrote several brooding poems about the smell of his Polo cologne and the shine of his braces, and then put the poems in my journal with scratch and sniff stickers and moved on .. . but I digress.

Anyway, the only *adult* experience I've had with being dumped occurred after I was taken on a date to the local Repertory Theater. I thought that things were going smashingly, but then he never called me again - though to be fair I did receive two or three "hope your night at work is going well" text messages, prior to being completely ignored. So when the new boy I'm seeing said he was taking me to The Rep after dating for a month, there was a bit of anxiety. I'm wondering so is this how boys dump girls in the South?? Is this an Arkansan tradition that I'm not familiar with??? Date a while, make them dress up for the theater, torture themselves in high heels on downtown sidewalks THEN dump them??

Well, never fear! We had a lovely evening and I looked quite hot if I say so myself! We had excellent box seats, the play was modern and avant garde, the boy came bearing flowers, I wore some cute strappy heels, had a fake tan, received random compliments, "that dress is cute and you look good in it" from the woman serving wine and the boy called me not only the next day - but the FOLLOWING DAY AS WELL! The curse is lifted - hooray!

No comments: