Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Tweaking the Race Calendar


I've been very fortunate as to have no problems with my knee since my visit to my "psychic" massage therapist so it's time to seriously figure out what my upcoming race goals are gonna be. As my faithful readers know, I had originally planned the St Louis Half Marathon in mid-April, but decided to cancel in lieu of potentially injuring myself. Given that I had done really well in my training, it's time to find an upcoming half to challenge myself!!

The winner is the Colorado Colfax Marathon/Half-Marathon on May 20th. It sounds pretty boring and brutal given it's a straight shot down Colfax from downtown Denver to the Colorado Mills Mall in Lakewood, but it's the only race that works with my schedule. I would have LOVED to do the Steamboat Half but it's full, and the other two I wanted to do (Colorado Marathon/Half in Ft Collins, and Mickelson Trail Half in South Dakota) are both on weekends that I work.

I did a 10 mile long run yesterday to prove to myself that I'm in half mary shape, I'm still pretty slow but I'm hoping to at least do a 2:45. Of course I don't know how acclimated I'll be by then, so I think I'll just have to accept whatever I get as far as time.

Beyond that, it's time to start TRI TRAINING!! I've only been outdoors on the bike once and I loved it so I don't understand why it's so hard for me to get out there. My apartment is going to be right on the Cherry Creek Trail so I'm hoping the fact that I can just go out my front door and not worry about traffic will induce me to ride. There's a Y pretty close to my place that I'm planning on joining for the summer so I have a place to swim. I WILL get in the pool my first week in Denver if it kills me!! My first race that's planned is the Danskin Sprint Tri July 15th and though I won't be in optimal shape with 8 weeks training ... I don't think I'll embarrass myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I forget, when is your triumphantreturn to Colorado?