Monday, April 30, 2007

My football mentoring pays off!

It looks like my little stepbrother ... well actually "little" is a misnomer since he weighs like 230 pounds ... is going to get the chance to play for the Chicago Bears!! He wasn't picked in the official draft but is getting the chance to get on the team as a free agent - he'll be up there later this week where he'll have to show off his stuff. The buzz is that he shouldn't have any problems getting a spot with his talent.

He's come a long way from the days when he was just a wee lad and we'd run plays in the back yard - truth be told I taught him everything he knows about football. Hopefully he'll give me the appropriate props in his media interviews when he's a star. Though 10 years younger than I, he followed in my footsteps at Sacred Heart Griffin High School captivating the hearts and minds of all who knew him ... and also throwing illicit parties at our parents house (though just for the record I was the one who NEVER got caught!). He then played football at Southern Illinois - a third generation football legacy since my stepdad played there as well as J.T.'s maternal grandfather.

Of course if I were to be honest, I'd admit that anytime I've watched him play, my Mom and I just spend all of our time just trying to figure out which one he is "Is that him? Wait a minute how about over there?" I mean the problem with football is there are just so many people out there at once - makes it hard for a spectator. And in all honesty I know NOTHING about football and I think he's a fullback? or a running back? All I know is he's big and I think he tackles people, and there's something about rushing which is silly because don't most people try to rush and go fast regardless of the sport??

Well I expect some free Bears tickets that's for sure!

[edited to add: Sadly J.T. did not make the cut so he's seeking out professional football opportunities elsewhere]

No comments: