Sunday, April 13, 2008

Weekend Update

Did you know that it has been raining off and on here in Arkansas for what seems like weeks?? Seriously, I've been wondering if BJ and I should build an ark because it's getting kindof crazy. Of course in general it seems to be rainy and dreary on my days off and then sunny for the brief three days that I work - suck! My favorite place to run has been underwater off and on for almost a month and of course in between all the rain we've had tornados and sirens and winds, oh my!

A few tidbits ....

*********************************************************************************
We had a major storm come through last week that spawned a total of 10 tornadoes. When the civil defense siren down the street went off and we turned on the weather channel, it was heading right into our part of town. I grabbed my flashlight, hand crank weather radio, cell phone and some quilts and pulled the dogs into the center bathroom with me. BJ insisted that I was "overreacting," even when they announced that it had been sighted on the ground 5 miles away and moving our direction. I said, "you sit in the living room and blow away if you want, me the dogs, and our baby will stay right here."
*********************************************************************************

Since I've been feeling much better as of late, we actually went out last night and visited with friends! Woo Hoo!! I'm not an anti-social, slug!! We went over to Merk and Jeff's house - Merk being BJ's half marathon training partner and co-worker. Her husband just got back from Iraq and this was our second trial "couple date" ... you know where you try to find out if you're all compatible as couples and don't completely hate one person or another. It was a very enjoyable evening full of pizza dough hijinks and shared recollections of collegiate life in the early 90s. Ahh, it's so nice to have fun, intelligent conversation! Not to mention Jeff is also a transplanted Yankee, actually being from New England he's got even more street cred as a Yank than me.

********************************************************************************

Today we finally had the chance to do some yard work. We've been wanting to seed parts of our yard for weeks but due to aforementioned torrential rains, we've been waiting till we were relatively assured of a few dry days. BJ did most of the hard work (turning over the nasty old sod) while I did some of the prep work (breaking up the clods) and we're hoping that in a few weeks we will have some happy bermuda mix on the south side of the house. We have SO much to do overall, but we're just taking it one step at a time.

********************************************************************************

3 comments:

JCR said...

That is definitely some crazy weather. I hope the rain slows down. And no more tornadoes!

Ken said...

I'm gonna be a pain cause I loves ya!

So is he a Yankee or a New Englander? Big difference, you know.

:-)

Southerners may lump anyone north of the Mason-Dixon line (or more likely anyone north of their house) as a Yankee...but most New Yorkers (the only real Yankees) won't lump themselves with those New Englanders.

Anonymous said...

Your links don't work, they keep asking me for a login ID. :(