Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Maybe there's hope for Little Rock after all??

I can't lie, there are times where I am slightly dissatisfied with my new geography. I think a lot of it has to do with job dissatisfaction spilling over into other areas of life, but we'll just say that there are a lot of times where I dream of picking up the new house and far from perfect yard needing LOTS of work and just moving it somewhere else. Preferably a place with better summers, mountains in the distance, several excellent options for Thai food (and no, having just one place that also serves Chinese does NOT count), local coffee shops, bagel shops (bonus points if it's Einstein's), SuperTargets (they put the super store that starts with a "W" to shame), better grocery stores - ooooo!!! maybe a huge Whole Foods Mart? Suffice to say, there are conveniences that I miss and these are just a few things off the top of my head.

Maybe, just maybe there's hope for this river town after all?? After eating at my latest pregnancy induced crave stop, Cheeburger Cheeburger, we saw a large vacant corner space in the shopping development with a sign promising .... Coming Soon!! Panera Bread!!

This just might be my salvation!! Though their bagels aren't nearly as good as Einstein's, I love their menu - especially their salads and soup - and I spent a lot of time there when I lived in Columbia, MO. I often stopped for breakfast after work, basically bought my iBook solely to enjoy surfing their wireless while having a late lunch, and I wrote a lot of my first blog posts there while drinking the bottomless cup of coffee. I found a local Panera hangout in Virginia Beach during my three months there, and even occasionally hit Panera in Denver, though the parking in Cherry Creek North was atrocious so it was more of a treat than a routine hangout.

I don't know when it will be opening, it looks like they're just starting but I have high hopes of Panera goodness later this summer. A bright, glimmery ray of hope to look forward to in the midst of 105+ degree, humidity filled misery. Mmm, I can see that half salad and french onion soup now!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can't beat their asiago cheese bagel...yum! Although, I have to say that Bruegger's has the BEST bagels of them all!

Ken said...

Pantera (yeah - that's how I spell it) is wonderful. But I'm shocked that you like their bagels. Wile tasty, they're not really traditional bagels. Here's hoping you don't abandon the local bagel place (Morningside) for the chain.

I love their summer salad of tomato and mozz. And they have a mean lentil soup! I think you were in the car when your husband called to alert me to the Pantera news. And bonus...it's near the house and office!

(Einstein's is great too...try to stop every time we're in Kansas City)

Jenn said...

I'm not a huge fan of Panera bagels, but given the current economy and price of gas ... it's hard to justify a 40 mile round trip to get to the only "local" bagel shop in these parts. Though we do go by there when we're already far enough North to justify heading all the way into Maumelle.