Thursday, May 08, 2008

Running ... what a pain!

Well I guess I'm going to become a walker for the next 5 months. Despite my cool new Garmin and desire to be the hip pregnant chic that runs 5Ks, the body just isn't willing. I've been having a lot of discomfort lately from round ligament pain, and though I've learned the tricks to avoid it at home (don't get up from a seated position or bend over quickly), it's really noticeable when I try to jog. I went out this week and my heart rate was great when I warmed up! I felt awesome and really wanted to just pound the pavement a little, but as soon as I started even a slow jog it was extremely uncomfortable. I wore my tight supportive spandex shorts with a higher waist to support the growing lower belly, but it was no good. I was a little frustrated because I know lots of people run far later into their pregnancies, and I just have the slightest of bellies going on .... it seems silly for it to be so uncomfortable already, but it is what it is.


I was able to walk fairly comfortably (I think the right supportive belly gear will be crucial) and tomorrow I'm going to hit the gym and try the elliptical. I don't mind walking but it doesn't get me as aerobic as I would like and I'm guessing that bending over on a bike trainer may not be the most comfy either. I'm hoping the elliptical is tolerable and once my neighborhood pool is open, I think that swimming laps will be the way to go. I just don't want to end up with a ruined body AND a complete lack of cardiovascular fitness. I want to be running again by Christmas so we'll see how my alternative methods work.

2 comments:

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Just take care of yourself. You will really need to run after the baby arrives and you want to get back to your fighting weight.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I hope you guys are ok after all the day weather.