Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I RAN 2 MILES!!!!!

So I totally can't believe it - but I ran 2 whole miles .... NON STOP!!! On my running plan it called for a 2 mile run with no walking breaks and I was thinking to myself, "I'll just shoot for a mile and a half but if I have to walk, it's OK." Shockingly, I was able to run the whole thing!! Even more impressive? The run was after a one hour bike ride!! I had planned a brick and I decided that if I felt good, I was going to go for it. The first 3/4 mile my legs felt horrible, I was OK heart rate/exertion-wise, but my legs felt like they didn't belong to me. I kept up with it, and by the first mile it felt like any other run. Now, I must admit that it was REALLY, REALLY slow - about an 11 & 1/2 minute mile pace, but I was afraid I'd blow it if I went any faster. The big thing was that I was able to sustain a run that whole distance, and I didn't feel like dying at the end!! Maybe three miles isn't too far on the horizon??

This weekend I'm doing my first 5K, the Jay Dix Challenge to Cure which benefits our local cancer center. I'm not even going to attempt to run the whole thing, but hopefully with strategically planned walk breaks I can do it in 38 minutes (my real goal is 36 but I thought I'd pad so as not to be disappointed). Also, plan on sticking with my tri training and hitting the pool at least three times. But now that I've realized that I can conquer the running, which was what I was most afraid of at the beginning of this journey, I just have faith that the rest of it will come together!!!

1 comment:

Travis said...

Great job!! Its funny to look back just a short while ago and think about the fact that running 2 miles seemed crazy, now here you are. Forget about anything (time, pace, amount of time you are going to walk, etc) other then giving it your all. You did not sign up for this thing to see how good you could feel at the end. It's going to hurt and it should. You are capable of more then you think. So go out there and leave it all on the course. If you cant walk for a week or puke afterward, at least you know you did it right!