Monday, April 10, 2006

Update on how the training is coming along

This past week was actually a great week for my training. I think that the triathlon clinic really helped me kick it up a notch! I've been loosely following a plan in the book Triathlon Training in Four Hours a Week to get started. I've been scheduling all of the recommended workouts in the book but generally doing more running since I'm still following the Couch to 5K plan (still stuck on week 5!) and hoping to complete a 5K soon. To break it all down ...

Running - I feel that I've made tremendous progress here! In my workouts I'm up to half-mile runs with 1/4 mile walk breaks for a total of 2 miles. I remember the first time I ran a half-mile, I felt like my side was going to explode and the effort required was ridiculous. Now I can do a half-mile and still feel pretty good with controlled breathing and though it's not necessarily a conversational feeling, I could talk in short sentences (or in my case sing along in short phrases to my ipod!) I tried the treadmill a few times but really hated it and felt my equilibrium was off when I was finished, so I'm sticking to the track. I've been out on the trail a few times and liked it, but it's hard to measure the distances I need and I hate running by time and constantly looking at my watch. My body has been feeling great - no aches or pains yet and my shoes seem to be doing the trick. I just am not built to wear running shorts but perhaps I'll make a separate entry for that one of these days.

Swimming - This is my weak spot and I should be flogged for it! I swam once this week but it was a recreational swim with my friend Kristin and her little girl Erin. The second planned swim, I went to the rec with my swim suit, goggles and cap in tow but there were no lanes available. I like to use the 25 meter lanes in the diving well and though the schedule said they were to be open, they were not. So instead there were four lanes open in the 50 meter pool but they were filled already. So I ran instead. This week - I am absolutely committed to swimming laps AT LEAST TWICE! I need to get over that feeling that I look like a fool and that everybody is staring at me. I felt that way the first few times I ran and I got over that, so I just need to (excuse the pun) take the plunge.

Biking- I've spent most of my bike time on the stationary one at the gym riding hill programs. Though it's not the same as outdoors, I can really tell the difference in my stamina and leg strength over the weeks. Last night I did 45 minutes of hills at a high cadence with a small amount of resistance (level 4 of 20) and really felt good the whole workout.

As for the "real" bike, I made some purchases yesterday. First of all, my ride is a 1997 Kona Lavadome mountain bike, the current 2006 version is pictured above and though components have changed over the years, it's basically the same bike. I got it on sale in spring of '98 at a bike shop in Pekin, IL and at the time I was going to become a great mountain biker ..... well that never happened! It hasn't been ridden a lot and has been kept indoors so is actually in good condition. My old roomie was an avid biker and she checked it out and even borrowed it for her boyfriend on at least one occasion. So anyway, I went to the bike shop and first of all got new tires - told them I was wanting tires for the pavement and tubes to match - also got a pump for the garage, and a little bag to go below my saddle. It took some work, but I did manage to change the tires out last night all by myself (much thanks to Chris Palmquist for showing us how to change out a flat at the triathlon clinic!) and get my wheels back on! It may seem small, but I'm not the most mechanically inclined and the old tires had never been off or stretched and they required much coaxing with the tire lever thingees. When it was all said and done it was dark, so I've yet to take her out. I do think I need to clean and oil my chain though since it's been sitting a LONG time so I think I'll swing by the bike shop and ask about that on my way to work. Anyway, this week I plan on getting out on the real bike and we'll see how that goes.

So that about sums up where we are training-wise. I'll fill ya in this weekend on how well I do at getting my butt in the pool!!

No comments: