Thursday, April 13, 2006

Swimming - AAARRGH!

Why can't I swim? I love the water, it feels great, I can float around like a kid all day long ... but make me do a freestyle across a pool and forget about it. I can do the stroke, (I'm sure my form is a total nightmare but I can propel myself forward) but the breathing is killing me. If only I had gills because I just can't coordinate the putting my head to the side and breathing part that is unfortunately required to prevent death in the swim portion of the race.

To make myself feel better, I did some laps of breaststoke and back stroke, did a few drills I learned at my triathlon clinic, then forced myself to do four lengths (with rests between each of course) of my Jennstyle.

Of course I need to remind myself that I have been avoiding the pool like the plague so I have practically no experience with it. I need to remember that when I started running I could barely go a minute without feeling like I was going to puke and now I can run a half mile and feel good about it. I need to just keep practicing and hopefully there will be improvement. And the bright side, it's not like I can get any worse at it .... right?

So right here on my blog I will solemnly resolve to swim three times a week - no matter how pitiful it may be. I may never be a Summer Sanders (only chic swimmer I can think of) but maybe I can make it through my 700 meter swim without completely embarrassing myself.

No comments: