Thursday, May 04, 2006

Who is this girl?

I was looking in the mirror tonight and I had one of those, "Who am I?" moments. I mean seriously, if you would have told me a year ago that I would be running, lifting weights, and working out four to five times a week I would have thought you were high. I've lost at least one, maybe two clothing sizes (who really knows when all I wear is scrubs and fitness clothes?) and I haven't bought any cute tops to celebrate. Instead, I spend all my money on cool running singlets, triathlon shorts, running shoes, and sports bras. It's like I became Sporty Spice overnight, and it's a little bizarre. I find myself filling my week with workouts and planning around when the pool is open or when it would be best to ride. It's kindof strange when I realize how different my life has become, and though it's a good thing, it's just very unexpected.

So my first triathlon is this weekend!! I'm doing the Dew U Try-the-Tri supersprint in Springfield, IL (my old hometown). I don't think I'll have any problems with the bike and run, because I've done a few bricks like my training plan called for and I know I can make the distance without a problem. The swim though is a different thing. It's only a 150m indoor swim and I know I can swim that far without drowning, but that's about all I know. I've neglected my swim training horribly, and my freestyle is so atrocious that it's a struggle to make it 25m. My plan is to just breaststoke it if I have to and put myself near the end of the line for starting. It sucks because that will put me near dead last for the whole race and I'll likely be leaving T1 when some racers are finishing. I'm also obsessing over what a total nerd I'm going to look like in the pool. I need to just put it aside, not give a shit if I finish last, and just do my race. I'm not looking to compete, I'm just looking for the experience at this point. I KNOW that I need to swim more and hopefully this experience will just help reinforce that.

At least I'll get to try out all of my recently acquired gear!! Now I just need to go over my list and make sure I have everything....



Helmet ... check











Goggles ... check












Transition bag .... check

I think we've got it all :) Now on to the race!

1 comment:

Travis said...

Awesome, I did not know you were doing this. I will be there for sure to cheer you on! Dont worry about what to wear. Just make sure it fits and dries out well. Some people will be in full tilt gear, others will be in normal shorts and junk like that. you'll do awesome. Make sure to practice a few transitions, not for the speed aspect, but just so you know what to expect when you jump out of the pool and put on your bike gear and bike great to run.. it makes a big difference.