Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Blizzards, Holidays and getting TOTALLY screwed!!!

As usual I've been a delinquent blogger and a lot has gone on since my last post. First of all, we had a HUGE blizzard here in Denver right before Christmas. I had a friend fly in that morning and it was a white-knuckled drive all the way to the airport. In all we had about 2 feet of snow and the city was pretty much at a standstill for two days. Lucky for me I didn't have to work (though it wouldn't have been a problem since I live across the street), but unfortunately for my friend - there was little to do during his visit except sit inside and watch the snow pile on the streets. The side roads really hadn't been cleared very well before we had a second big snow - but luckily for me I headed back to Illinois for a New Year's visit right as snow storm #2 was hitting.

Now don't get me wrong, I do like snow! It's white and fluffy and fun! But it makes things like getting to the grocery store, training for my half-marathon, and walking the dogs a bit difficult. I'm just thankful that I don't have to drive to work.

As just mentioned, I did go home to Illinois for New Year's. I had to work Christmas and the day after (both day shifts which was a point of extreme terror for a confirmed night shifter like myself) so it was nice to break away after the holiday and see the family. Not to mention there is nothing more relaxing than a long drive across Kansas .... no seriously, it really is relaxing!!!

So I got back from Illinois, worked a set of shifts then had a visit from my good pal Kristin. She's getting ready to start her PhD (good for her!) and needed a quick break from family and responsibility. We did some shopping, hung out, ate fattening food and just had some good girl time which is always nice.

Then the floor dropped out from under me. I get a call this morning that my contract has been cancelled effective THIS FRIDAY! I love the hospital I'm at, but their census is low and they just don't need the pricey labor of a travel nurse. Apparently they like me, I'm a great nurse, blah, blah, blah but I'm cancelled with four days notice! My company tried to talk them into at least two weeks notice but no dice. There's only one other position in the Denver area and it is a significant cut in pay but I had no option but to apply. We're also scrambling for any other job that I could get into quickly. Of course there's nothing in Missouri, nothing else in Colorado and the only other state I have a license in is Virginia. Another option is California where I can get a same day license if I drive to Sacramento. So we're putting in for several jobs and now I just have to sit and wait for someone to call me for an interview. This completely sucks and totally ruins my week. The best part is that I work tonight and the next two after so I have to try to grin and bear it despite this hospital totally screwing me over. Even in a best case scenario it looks like I'll be out of work at least two weeks - Happy New Year to me huh???

No comments: