Thursday, March 20, 2008

Honeymoon Hike


We really didn't do a "traditional" honeymoon - just wasn't my thing. We did stay an extra night in Eureka Springs and got massages on Sunday which was pretty cool, but then just came home to an agenda of nothingness which is a vacation in itself.

While out fulfilling a hamburger craving that I had (and I hardly EVER crave hamburgers) we saw a new outdoorsy shop opened in West Little Rock. We went in and found that all of their shoes and boots were 50% off and we had *just* been talking in Eureka about how both of us needed some light duty hiking boots since I hate dayhiking in my heavy, stiff backpackers. About 10 minutes later we were both outfitted with new day hikers (I'm ashamed to say they are a matching style) and we got them for a steal!! When we got home I immediately pulled out my hiking guide to find a trail we could explore the next day.

We ended up choosing a 4 mile loop in Lake Ouachita State Park which was a little over an hour away. The hiking guide said "moderate" but I've learned that these guides are usually totally overblowing the effort so we were expecting a nice leisurely jaunt. The Caddo Trail was actually quite scenic and had some nice uphills and downhills as it traveled along the bluff of the lake shore. Though it was posted as a three hour hike, we cut that down in half. The best part was that a group had set off about an hour before us, so if there were evil spiderwebs crossing the path, they were the unfortunate souls to walk into them.

The new hiking shoes were great, and we can't wait to use them on some more challenging terrain.

1 comment:

JCR said...

I like the pink bandanna!