Sunday, March 30, 2008

March Madness and Updates

Just to show how selfless of a person I am ... despite the fact that my brackets would have been TOTALLY screwed given that I picked Kansas to win it all... I was really pulling for Davidson to win. There's nothing I like more than a good underdog story and when I see a small college that no one has ever heard of (OK, I had never heard of) make it to the Elite Eight and play with so much heart, how can you not want them to win?? I always wonder if these moments truly change people by having that period in the spotlight, thousands of fans cheering for you, making you believe you can win despite the odds. Even though you'll never likely play after college, that confidence might propel someone into a different trajectory in their life all because of that one tournament where they were a part of a Cinderella story. At least I like to think it does.

*************************************************************************
An update on my friend Beverly who was kidnapped. Her car was used in a drive by shooting two nights later which likely confirms my suspicion that the perpetrators were gang related (though nothing like that has been mentioned in the press). The car was later abandoned. It is currently being dusted for fingerprints. I saw Beverly on Thursday night and she is still quite shaken, but very thankful to be alive.

************************************************************************
oh, and I did take my little walk with brief periods of jogging. I forgot how good it feels to get the heart pumping, and even though I'm ridiculously out of shape - you have to start somewhere right??

2 comments:

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Too bad Davidson did not pull it out. My wife still has a shot at the overall champion, but her Final 4 is now down to two.

I am glad that your friend is doing well. I would have to agree with the gang related link in the whole thing.

Don't sweat the whole friend thing. Donna is the same way, she has to have friends around. Me, I am a loner and I like it that way. LOL

ObfusK8 said...

I am SO glad that your friend is doing well. I can't imagine how shaken she is. I'm still a bit fearful after what happened to my Dad, and that didn't even happen to me!

I was hoping that Baylor might have been the Cinderella story this year, but it was not meant to be. I'm just a happy camper that they actually made it to the tourney!