Sunday, March 30, 2008

Negativity is Thy Name

I'm going to make myself go for a run ... jog ... perhaps walk mixed with a touch of jogging here and there??? ... when I get off work. I've become a pathetically lazy couch potato as of late and I have some serious negative energy that I'm needing to burn off.

My personal life is pretty awesome, I mean I have a fabulous husband who adores me and sends me flowers for no particular reason (like this week), how great is that?? I am however sorely lacking in the social circle given that all of my close friends live in states far away. I haven't really been able to make a lot of friends since moving here, and the night shift schedule makes it particularly tough to even coordinate something if in theory I had a local friend. I do think it takes a while to find your niche when you relocate, but it's even worse here because I'm so different from most of the people I meet. I'm a flaming, open-minded liberal who doesn't go to church, while most people here .... aren't.

The other big issue is that I am suffering from serious job dissatisfaction at the moment. Unfortunately I'm making such good money that I can't afford to do anything else, but it is really starting to wear on me. I haven't decided if it's working in the NICU in general, or working in this particular NICU. I am so tired of dead beat, neglectful parents and jacked up babies with no chance of a quality of life. There's always a certain element of this in any unit I've worked in, but it seems to be the norm as opposed to the exception where I'm at now. I can't even tell you the last time I had a patient where the parent(s) showed up or even called routinely, it's been over three weeks for sure. It just blows me away because if they show no interest in their sick, hospitalized child, why would I think they're going to give a crap when they're home and healthy?? At some point, I'm guessing that the hospital will not renew my travel contract and I'll have to figure out what to do. It's going to be rough because no matter where I staff at, it's going to be a HUGE paycut. I'll also have to decide whether it's time to try something different and if so, what that will be. I'm kindof looking forward to the opportunity to work in a different realm, but the almost 50% cut in pay??? Not so much.

So yes, I think a walk sprinkled with moments of jogging is definitely in order ... if it stops thundering and lightning that is.

2 comments:

Ken said...

Hey...you've got some people who will walk...

I like to walk. Bex likes to ride (he likes to walk too but not that kind of distance). Jess likes to walk.

Yep...you're different but there are people who thing like you around here...and I know two that you know of...

All ya got to do is call or email.

ObfusK8 said...

Hey - give the locals a chance. After all, you made pretty good friends with a recovering conservative from Dallas... if you can be THAT open minded, I bet you'll find some like-minded souls somewhere in the area ;)