Saturday, March 22, 2008

SuperSonic!


Yesterday afternoon as I was watching basketball (Jenn LOVES March Madness!) I was contemplating my love of Sonic. You know, the drive in restaurant where you can get such delicious concoctions as cherry chocolate colas, a chocolate malted, slushes and tater tots. My recent favorite is Cherry Vanilla Diet Coke, cherry Limeaid and raspberry sweet tea (not sure if that's available everywhere or just here in the South) either of which you can get for 50% off during happy hour!! Woo Hoo!! And did I mention there's a Sonic conveniently located at the entrance to my subdivision??!?! Score!!

While thinking about a cool, refreshing Cherry Vanilla Diet Coke - I started musing on how my relationship with Sonic began. It was waaaay back in 1992 during my first trip to the University of Missouri - Rolla to visit my buddy Kevin. I quickly learned that being a non-fat, relatively hot chic AND visiting an engineering school populated by often drunk frat boys = LOTS of attention for Jenn! Did I mention how much I love Rolla?? Some of my best times in college were at the St. Pat's celebration at Rolla (ahh, to be young an a desired minority once again!)

Anyway, while visiting Rolla in '92 - I looked up Ed who was also a student there. I knew him from marching band and he was always a super nice guy. Kevin and I picked up Ed and he suggested going to Sonic (WHERE?) for cherry limeaids (WHAT?). At the time Sonics were not the ubiquitous sight along the highway that they are now and I had never seen a drive in where you actually .... you know "drive in." I was dubious about ordering this cherry limeaid concoction because I'm not even a fan of lemonade, and limeaid? Sounded gross!

Well I was wrong, from the first sip to the last maraschino cherry bite - it was the most delicious thing I had ever tasted!! In college, when traveling to Rolla (or through Rolla to visit my family in SW Missouri) I always stopped at Sonic for a cherry limeaid and a corn dog. It wasn't until several years later that Sonics started to pop up in parts of Illinois and a cherry limeaid was as easy to get as a Frostie from Wendy's. The love affair has never ended .... long, live Sonic!

3 comments:

ObfusK8 said...

Mmmm - I love Sonic! My brother and Sister-in-law live in Boston, and there apparently aren't any north of Pennsylvania. But they get the commercials on cable. Sadly, she had some serious Limeade cravings during her pregnancy and the ads didn't help!

The Lazy Triathlete said...

MMMMMMMMMM Cherry Limeaid!!!!! I love me some Sonic.

JCR said...

I've never had Sonic! I've always wanted to. Maybe we can do that when I come visit.