Friday, March 23, 2007

Little patients or big patients - either way I have no patience!

So the question of the night....
Which is better?? Having my patients be babies who scream all night long despite my best nursing interventions - or taking care of adults who actually form words but can at times be reasoned with?? Now that I've actually applied for a job in the adult world and have an interview pending, this is something I *really* need to think about.

On a night like tonight when two of my three patients are messed up kids who do nothing but arch their backs and squeal (it's not their fault that they have brain damage, but it doesn't make it easier to deal with) ... it's appealing to think of a different patient population. Of course I'm kidding myself if I think that "big" people are going to be any easier. They'll just be challenging in a different way.

I haven't officially decided to quit the NICU world or stop traveling for that matter, but I figured it would be good to at least explore my options. A travel job did just open up in Seattle and I bet the weather would be fine there for the summer ... if only it wasn't SO far away!!

No comments: