Wednesday, March 21, 2007

View from Pinnacle Mountain

Took a nice hike to the top of Pinnacle Mountain today. It's not particularly long or difficult, the only hard part is not falling on my butt crossing the boulder field near the ridge. From the top you can see the Arkansas River and Lake Maumelle and downtown Little Rock in the distance.

It was actually pretty crowded and there were several college aged couples I met along the way. Who knew that kids these days actually went out of doors?? My only problem was that one of these young whippersnappers asked "are you OK ma'am?" as I paused on the way up. I actually was moving out of the way so they could descend - not because I was near death or anything. I mean I'm training for a marathon! I'm only 33!! Don't freakin' ma'am me!!! Instead I just said, "I'm fine, just letting you pass through! Have a great day!" I don't care if I am in the south .... I'm NO ma'am!!!

[edited to add: Apparently young men in the south are taught to refer to a female of any age as "ma'am" so I was told to not be offended by this after all]

No comments: