Sunday, July 01, 2007

Two Rants

The first subject of my anger and irritation?? The evil Comcast Cable empire!! When I moved to Denver, I went with cable internet after having so many problems with AT&T/SBC DSL service in Arkansas. I assumed that the cable monopoly was far preferable to the galactic evil of the telephone company. Well it turns out that my internet stopped working on Saturday and after troubleshooting on the phone, it turns out that Friday NIGHT is the first time a technician can come out. They also tried to tell me again that I need to rent a modem instead of using the "old" one I owned. And this technological artifact I insist on using?? Was a required purchase when I had Comcast service on the east coast last Fall AND the same modem that had worked fine her in Denver when I lived here in January. I was told that I can request a refund after the technician arrives for my week without service.

Rant #2 relates to a very kind coworker I've met her in Denver. I don't know her very well, but she's one of those truly kind, warm and genuine people you meet in this world. I know that she has an adopted child with some special needs, I believe a former preemie. At work last week, there was a sign in the break room congratulating her on arrival of a new baby!! I was so happy for her and her family!! Then two days later, word was passed around that the birth mother changed her mind and took the baby back, after they had had two nights with her. I was so angry and sad for her!! I can't imagine the heartbreak of waiting so long, being chosen to receive a baby, then having that baby taken away. I can't in any way imagine that this birth mother will provide better for the child than my coworker would have. No wonder people adopt overseas!!

I have to say that working in my field, I am VERY jaded about families these days. I can't tell you how many pitiful examples of parents I see in my line of work. It's almost to the point where a loving, attentive mother is the exception as opposed to the norm. I've taken care of babies who've been in the NICU for weeks on end with the parent visiting maybe once or twice and calling perhaps every third day or so, if even that. Now I can understand not visiting if there are other children at home, or if they live far away and don't have the resources or a car to visit, but for goodness sakes, wouldn't you call at least once or twice a day to see how your baby was doing?? Most units even have toll free numbers so there's no long distance charges. And these are sick babies in the hospital!! Imagine, if they can't be bothered to care about the sick baby, what about the healthy ones??? It's not uncommon for young mom's in their early 20s to have 2-3 kids at home in addition to the sick baby. It's just very discouraging to see these beautiful little souls, blank slates just waiting to be filled with love and knowledge, being sent to homes where you know they won't get what they need. And I think of all the people who would be happy to take these babies in .... it just really disgusts me sometimes and makes me sad for the future.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both of those are unforgivable transgressions, and shall surely be punished by a most opportune karmic rebound.

Anonymous said...

Those babies break my heart too! I see a lot of horrifying "parents" at work too. I don't even go 5 hours without calling my sitter to check on the girls and they are healthy happy and playing! I definitely agree with the karmic kick in the ass!

ObfusK8 said...

Yep! I totally agree. Plus there's lots of fears of abuse and neglect after the parents take the baby home and they've spent so little time with them.

Also on rant #2. Happened to a VERY good friend of mine. She was totally heartbroken. She had battled fertility problems and wound up having a few kiddos of her own, thank goodness, but I know she often thinks of that little boy who should have been her first. Hugs to your coworker and hugs to you for what you do :) I miss working with the preemies - they're just too sweet!