Thursday, August 09, 2007

More on Buffy ...


In response to Blogger Ken ....

Like many, I mourned the end of Buffy and wondered with bated breath, "what will Buffy do now??" I mean Sunnydale was destroyed, her Mom was gone, Spike had perished (presumably) in a giant fireball, and hundreds of slayerettes had now materialized to dust the vamps of the world. In the following season on Angel, there were some references to Buffy hooking up with some notorious immortal hunk, but we never *really* knew what happened. Of course I was secretly hoping that she and Angel would end up roaming the world together, though I guess the whole "no sex or I turn into an evil demon" would put a damper on their relationship.

Anyway, I was excited to learn that Joss Whedon the creator of Buffy would be authoring a comic book continuation of the series. I have to admit that I've never read a comic book in my life, though I did have a graphic novel of Empire Strikes Back as a wee girl. The thought of going into a comic book shop was a bit daunting for a mere mortal like myself. Would they mock me?? Clearly see that I am unfamiliar with the ways of the comic world?? So I made BJ take me when I was last in Little Rock. I picked up the first two issues of Buffy Season 8 and honestly, they were a little weird. I think it's because I'm not familiar with the comic genre and how things are portrayed, I honestly had a hard time even understanding what was going on. Before issue 3 came out, I moved to Denver and finally got up the courage to go into the local comic shop on my own. It turns out they were sold out and I should come back in a week or so. I have yet to continue the series due to my fear of such places. I guess I need to either find a way to get them online or convince BJ to take me back to the Little Rock shop. I am terribly interested in seeing how it continues, especially after seeing a graphic from the series at the singalong where Buffy dressed in a naughty nurse outfit was stuck in the middle of an Angel/Spike sandwich!!!

In a slightly related topic, the question was posed, "What is your favorite Buffy season and why?" I have to immediately say it was Season 3 which is probably cliche but I could watch those episodes over and over. There's so much in there to love, from the introduction of Faith, to the Mayor (who was one of my favorite villains), the complex relationships that are explored between Willow/OZ and Xander/Cordelia, Anya's arrival to Sunnydale, VAMP WILLOW!, and the heartbreaking return and departure of Angel. I can't help it, I'm an Angel fan and the scene in "The Prom" where he enters wearing a tux as the Sundays "Wild Horses" is playing just gets me every time! Not only did I love the episodes, but Season 3 was so pivotal as it marked the end of high school and the beginning of a new era for the Scoobies. I can certainly enjoy many episodes in other seasons, but as a whole - Season 3 is by far my favorite. Long live Buffy and Angel!!

2 comments:

Ken said...

I've got lots of comics. You're welcome to read at your leisure.

Season 2 is my favorite. I really enjoyed evil Angel and the troubles therein. While there are much stronger single episodes throughout the series this is the season that really stuck with me.

Oddly, I've not purchased any of the Buffy comics. I think I'll wait for them to be bound in a trade paperback.

Comic shops can be scary to the uninitiated. Also...they're generally a female-free zone so there tends to be excessive gawking when one visits.

JCR said...

I did love Season 3, but I voted for Season 6 because I loved all the Spike/Buffy drama. Although "Tabula Rosa" was my favorite ep of all time, I loved "Once More With Feeling" and also the episode with Xander and Anya's (failed) wedding. I absolutely hated Season 7, except for Andrew. He is fabulous, and I thought it was clever that he was on an ep of "How I Met Your Mother" this past season!

I tried to love the comic books, but I couldn't get into them.