Monday, August 13, 2007

To Pee or Not To Pee

It's so hot here that for the first time EVER I was unable to pee when I went for my drug screening. I generally have to take a pee test every three months for work so I'm very familiar with the ritual including the gross out part of "pee in this cup, fill it to here, don't wash your hands and bring it out to me." Every time I touch the door knob on the restroom at those lab facilities I think of the thousands of nasty hands that have touched it upon strict orders to NOT wash their hands. It's also disconcerting as a female because let's face it, our aim is not nearly as good as a man's aim so there's always some dribblage.

Anyway, I drank two big glasses of water prior to going to the lab and was prepared for my quick in and out to only be distraught at only filling the container half full. I was then informed that I couldn't leave, I would have to drink 4 glasses of water, wait 45 minutes then try again. I felt like a failure until I returned to the waiting room where it turned out 4 other people were waiting to try again, including a poor construction worker who'd already been there an hour and a half!!!

Luckily the four glasses of water worked and I was able to submit my urine to ensure that I'm not a raging meth addict, heroin user or pothead. And for the record, the temp outside?? 102 degrees with a heat index of 107.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

I feel your pain. I use to find out after I was at the office that I had been selected for a random test. Why couldn't they hit me on race day?