Sunday, February 24, 2008

Is there a doctor or nurse in the room???

I'm currently at the airport in St Louis waiting for my flight home after a busy weekend of Pi Phi Leadership training. I recently assumed the position of advisory committee chairperson so I am now advising the chapter president which puts me in a very different leadership role. I was very excited about the opportunity to receive training as well as network with other Pi Phi advisers from across the country. It is always exciting to look around and see the incredible diversity amongst our advisers as well as our collegiate presidents (who also attended). I would challenge anyone who was at that hotel to say that we were a group of "blonde haired, blue eyed Barbies" because in our organization, those days have long been over.

I'm really excited about taking on this role because it's propelling me back into a world that I love (that of a Greek organization) and giving me an opportunity to showcase skills that I used in former careers, but haven't needed in my current profession. Another thing I have to mention, is that for those of you who have stereotypes of Greek letter organizations, I can say with complete confidence that we are advising and holding our girls to high standards in regards to their values, their grades and their service to others. The Presidents that I met were outstanding examples of young women and spoke about amazing programs that they are doing in their chapters and on their campus and I know that we are not the only Greek letter organization to emphasize these values for their young women.

So anyway, at dinner last night, one of the national officers comes to the microphone and asks, "is there a doctor or nurse in the room??" In my skirt and high heels I quickly stood up and offered my services. Sure I may be a baby nurse, but I'm well equipped to deal with any first aid or response situation - just ask BJ about the times I've made him pull over when we saw a car wreck on the road.

Luckily, there was no blood, gore or heart attacks, just two sick collegians far from home and not knowing what to do. After assessing their symptoms and realizing that they were in fact not needing any immediate medical attention, I sent them back to their rooms with instructions to take some Advil, drink plenty of fluids and get some sleep. It's always nice to provide some comfort and assistance when I can, hone those motherly skills, and basically rack up some brownie points for heaven :)

2 comments:

JCR said...

I'm so proud of you! Way to get involved, and snaps for being a 24-hour nurse.

Speaking of Pi Phi, did you see sister Jennifer Garner at the Oscars last night? She looked fabulous.

Anonymous said...

JCR, Perhaps the term "snaps" isn't best word choice when one is attempting to dispel many of the sorority girl stereotypes perpetuated by the movie "Legally Blonde"? ;)