Friday, February 01, 2008

Tasty Cake!!

To answer the first question, yes I'm feeling better. My fever finally broke last night and though my temperature is normal, I still feel kindof crappy. Despite that, I had to suck it up this morning and pack for our trip to Fayetteville. One of BJ's mother's friends is hosting a shower for me on Saturday and if a complete stranger is going our of her way to have a little gathering, then I need to make the best of it. I should mention that I'm really not the shower type, as a matter of fact I was rather pleased that the type of wedding we are having (i.e. not really having one) was conducive to avoiding showers. BJ warned me early on that his mother's bridge group would want to have one and that I should, "not fight it and just go get our schwag!" So a shower in Fayetteville it is, and then on Monday a shower at BJ's work. I can't wait to see what kind of householdy goodness the next three days produce!!

Since we were going to be in NW Arkansas, we thought it would be a good time to order our cake. Despite how simple we are doing things, I insisted that BJ and I have tasty cake to eat from a real baker ... none of the grocery store crap. One of the nurses I work with turned me on to a little cake shop up in Springdale, and when we were here for Christmas we went in and bought some petit fours which were DELICIOUS!!

BJ called earlier in the week to see about meeting with the baker, but she doesn’t take appointments on Friday - he was able to sweet talk her explaining that we aren't local. He also explained that we were looking at a small cake, no big fancy cake to feed 50 people that would just get us REALLY fat! Anyway, we showed up today and the owner was as sweet as can be! She even brought our samples for us to taste which was completely unexpected ... it's not like we were spending tons of money. We ended up choosing an amazing filling called "hummingbird" which is a raspberry lemon concoction, with orange cake. It's going to be so unique and tasty! Of course the outside of the cake will be purple, with white piping and edible rhinestones. It's going to be delicious AND pretty!!

This was by far the most enjoyable part of the wedding planning, now if only my dress had an elastic waist we could eat the whole thing in one sitting :)

4 comments:

The Lazy Triathlete said...

The days of cake tasting. I had to go do that too. But then my vote did really matter. :)

JCR said...

I've never heard of edible rhinestones! How fabulous!

Anonymous said...

I am in search of edible rhinestones for my cake as well and I stunbled across your site. Do you have any idea where your baker found them? Please let me know. Thanks!

Jenn said...

I linked to the cake shop within the post. It's called Shelby Lynn Cake Shop in Springdale, Arkansas. Perhaps she could help you with your search??