Monday, February 18, 2008

Speed Thee My Arrow

You're probably thinking .... "Wow has Jenn fallen off the face of the earth??? Been abducted by aliens??"

I'm sorry my friends, the answer is no - Jenn just has been having a hard time getting back to normal after being sick. I'm FINALLY feeling better and getting caught up on housework, real work and my life. I really hate being sick and all my love to BJ who has been so sweet and caring!! You ROCK!

For my first non-sick post, it's time to unleash a deep, dark secret that only a few of my friends are privy to. I know that some of you will be shocked ... but the truth is ...
I am a sorority girl.

Not your typical sorority girl of course, I mean I rushed in my Doc Martens for goodness sakes!! I pledged Pi Beta Phi back at Illinois State in '93. They were an amazingly diverse group of women, everything from the typical blonde cheerleader type, to the wanna be hippy chics, to the average, everyday college student. Our house wasn't one that fit into a stereotype which was something that I really liked about being a member. My best friends from college to this day are my Pi Phi sisters, and the connection even led to my becoming excellent friends with fellow blogger JCR years after college when we were both in Colorado - despite the fact that we never hung out while in school.

Not only am I a sorority type, but 15 years later I'm still involved. I have volunteered as an alumnae advisor at the University of Colorado, the University of Missouri and now the University of Arkansas-Little Rock. I really have a great time working with the college age women, and my time at the three schools has only reinforced the idea that there is no "typical" sorority or sorority girl.

Yesterday, I decided it was time for the girls of Arkansas Beta to have a tradition from my chapter, arrow sugar cookies with pink icing. I have my cool new KitchenAide mixer, my old arrow cookie cutter that I've been using as a Christmas ornament since college, and three tubs of pink vanilla icing!! I even pulled down one of my old Pi Phi sweatshirts to commemorate the occasion.

One small confession .... I've never successfully rolled out cookies. The last time I tried many years ago, I disctinctly recall being unable to get the process to work and ending up swearing A LOT - and just rolling them into balls and saying "screw it!!!"

This time however, it was quite a succeess! BJ ever so kindly assisted with the process and we had 8 dozen arrows in no time!! The girls really loved them and all in all it was a great day!

3 comments:

Midwest DC Mom said...

The cookies look beautiful! You get the "Shiny Gold Arrow" award for being a great AAC member.

JCR said...

I love arrow cookies! I think it's so great that you are still so involved. And tonight I want to wear my Pi Phi sweatshirt!! :)

(BTW, shouldn't you be spending time on your wedding...? Or maybe everything is already in place? I hope!)

The Lazy Triathlete said...

MMMMMMMMMM cookies!!!!