Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Running Update

This has not been the most productive year thus far. I started out with a great enthusiasm to overcome my sloth, started making some minor progress, then was completely sidetracked by getting sick. I honestly haven't run since .... I don't even know. It's been a little more than 4 weeks I guess!?! I was doing a few training runs, going very slow but at least doing it, but that respiratory infection just killed it. Even after I got over the raging fever and inability to get out of bed, the slightest bit of exertion would bring on a horrible coughing fit, as would breathing in cold air. I would say that I'm pretty well cured now, but of course I've been working my tail off trying to make up for the hours I called in sick.

Anyway, the bummer of it all is that this weekend is the Little Rock Marathon. I had switched my entry to the half near the end of the year because I was kidding myself if I thought I was going to be ready for the full mary. After having some rocky starts in my training, I had lowered my expectations and just hoped for a fun run/walk and wasn't going to stress about my time. Now, I'm not even sure how well I could walk the damn thing. The last thing I need is something to show me how much I suck, so I've decided to just forgo the whole thing and take the opportunity to cheer BJ for his first half-mary. I've also signed up to volunteer the Expo and give a little back to the running community.

I'm really excited for BJ! He hasn't completely stuck to his training, but overall he has done well. He ran a 15K race two weeks back which was the farthest he had ever run, and he did it with quite a bit of ease which really surprised him. Instead of feeling like a failure for not taking part, I'm going to be happy that I can have the chance to really support him in his first long distance race, as well as cheer on the other runners.

There's always next year to look forward to because Little Rock really puts on one hell of a race and their medals are second to none!!

1 comment:

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Good for you. I love your attitude. As the an athlete whose wife is not the biggest supporter, he will truly appreciate your support.

Good luck with the wedding!!!