Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Home .... the final frontier!

It's amazing that I've made it to the age of 34 but never have bought a home, so yes I'm a mortgage virgin. BJ and I discussed buying a house before I even moved back to Little Rock, but both of us can be exceptionally adept procrastinators so we're just now getting around to starting the process. Thankfully one of BJ's friends is a realtor with both charm AND savvy, so we have someone to help us navigate the treacherous waters of the market. We contacted two of the mortgage lenders she recommended and now have good faith estimates coming our way. I really liked the guy who understood when I explained that yes I know we make enough to qualify for a ridiculously expensive mortgage, but we want a starter home with a low payment so we can pay off existing debt, then move up in the future. His response. ... "well that's not very American of you!" I mean sure, we could get a $250K home, never pay off our debt and continue to feed the pocketbooks of student loan and credit card companies - I mean I know that's the American way, why pay for now what you can finance and pay for forever?

As long as we've got something to call our own and it's not in the 'hood (near the 'hood I'm fine with, in the hood not so much) or out in the middle of redneck territory I'll be OK with it. Now if we can just shop for and agree upon a house without killing each other in the process - did I mention we're each strong willed and slightly stubborn individuals?? - then life will be good.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Enjoy the fact that a $250K house where you live is a big house. If we move back to real America and sell our townhouse, we can buy a huge ass house and have money left over.

Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

Awww, shucks. I might be blushing.

If it makes you feel better, we're not very American either. I'm all for getting a house with room to grow, but that doesn't have to mean overextending yourself.

As for finding one that you both love, that will take time. The right one IS out there.