Wednesday, October 10, 2007

She chose wisely

After reading all the horror stories about the Chicago Marathon all I can say is DAMN! I'm glad I didn't run that race!! Even had I in theory trained like I was supposed to, it really doesn't sound like an ideal situation for a first marathon. Not to mention, it would have hacked me off had I trained so hard and then been forced to walk. I mean I totally understand why the course organizers did what they did, it just would have been hard to stomach the disappointment.

All of my friends and fellow Hot Legs who did the race finished safe and sound, and have interesting stories to tell about the constant sirens, people collapsing, general craziness once the helicopters started telling people to walk etc.

So in the end I'm out $120 for the registration fee and the priceless opportunity to say, "yeah I was at the Chicago Marathon that they shut down half way through."

Maybe I'll have better luck debuting at the Little Rock Marathon. I mean it'll involve winter long runs (of course winter here is laughable at best for someone used to the bitter prairie cold in the Midwestern plains), some hill training, and it's exactly a week before I get married. What could be wrong with that situation???

3 comments:

Kevin said...

Don't compete when you are not ready. I ended up walked the run portion of a race this summer due to the heat and humidity. I know my body and I should not have been hurting like I was.

A marathon the week before you get married. Thats plenty of time. There was a guy at the Nation's Triathlon who was getting married that afternoon!!! That ROCKS!!!!!

JCR said...

I'm so glad you didn't go! What a strange thing to happen. You'd think this time of year in Chicago would be cooler.

ObfusK8 said...

Last year my sister in law got hypothermia and they kept her in the recovery tent for quite a while. It was raining and cold and windy (duh!), so it's pretty bizarre that it was SO warm this year. I was on the beach in Ocean City, Maryland that weekend and wound up getting a bit of a burn - I didn't even think we'd get a chance to get in the water when we first planned the trip!