Monday, November 19, 2007

Fun with the new house!!


So despite our little set backs in the new home .... did I mention the leaking gas line to the fireplace?? ... I LOVE being a homeowner! Of course we haven't gotten completely unpacked, but it definitely looks settled in already.

BJ painted our boring white door a brilliant shade of red that looks fabulous! It was our way of saying "hey neighborhood, we're here!"

I should mention that it's really nice having a handy kindof partner. He's been hard at work changing out the deadbolts, putting a keypad entry mechanism on the front door, running cables in the attic to setup our wireless home network and home theater system, and of course the pièce de résistance - mounting the new plasma screen on the wall above the fireplace. Did I ever mention that we had to get rid of the 56 inch big screen? Of course it hurt BJ far more than it hurt me, but given the setup of the living room there was no place to put the massive monument to sloth. He sold it to a co-worker and had to begrudgingly downsize to the 42 inch plasma. Though after mounting it and sitting on the couch, he did agree that anything larger would have been impractical based on the size of the room.


The flow of cash out of my checking account and to places like Lowe's, Target and Bed Bath and Beyond continues :) It's amazing how a new shower curtain, a few rugs and a cute accent towel can suddenly camouflage a hideous 1980s era bathroom.

Did I mention our fabulous yard?? It's probably more weeds than grass but it has so much potential! It's going to be a challenge to figure out how to landscape given the massive trees in the area. When the satellite guy drove out he basically said, "Yeah this isn't going to work." When he was on the phone with Dish trying to tell them that we needed to cancel our service because there was no way to point to the satellites he told them, "it's so wooded I'm expecting Robin Hood to make an appearance at any moment."

Hopefully in a few weeks we'll be able to get our cars in the garage and be able to actually find the specific item of clothing we're looking for!

2 comments:

Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

Leaking gas line? Yipes! Hopefully things will settle down a bit soon! I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the new abode!

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I can feel both of yours' pain. I would cry to give up my 56 inch plasma. I feel your pain with the hemmorage of money. We are doing some remodeling and I just dropped 6K on windows. Now it is the granite counter tops, then it will be painting, and finally furniture and flat screen. All told it will be a lot of money. LOL