Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thursday's Trip Down Memory Lane

I am a true child of the 80s and I have such an endearing fondness for the music, TV and pop culture of that era. There's nothing I love more than catching a rerun of an awesome 80s movie on TBS, you know one of those movies that you saw so many times that you can quote it as if you had the script memorized.

For me, the best examples of that would be the John Hughes oeuvre. As an adolescent red head who HATED my red hair, Molly Ringwald was my hero (though interestingly enough she's naturally brunette - though I didn't know it at the time).

While browsing my important news sites ... you know things like People, E! online, Entertainment Weekly etc. I came across this article debating which was the best John Hughes movie. Having seen all of them multiple times, I found this quite interesting. I looked him up on imdb and his resume as writer, director and/or producer is staggering!! Beyond the obvious Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink and Sixteen Candles, he was involved with Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Weird Science, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Vacation, Christmas Vacation, Mr. Mom, Uncle Buck ... all movies that I've seen and enjoyed.

Nothing takes me back to my youth more than seeing one of those pivotal movies that I so identified with as an adolescent. I HAD a crush on my own high school version of Jake Ryan, wanted to dance like Jennifer Grey in Dirty Dancing, felt the need - the need- for speed like Maverick and Goose, believed I could be crucial in the fundraiser to save Ferris, and truly believed that Buttercup and Westley were meant for each other. My love of movies started in the 80s and continues to this day, and no matter how cheesy, how dated, I can't not watch these shows when I catch them on cable.

BTW, if you're wondering where I stand on the greatest John Hughes movie debate ... just check out the shirt I'm wearing here :)

No comments: