Thursday, November 08, 2007

Thursday's Trip Down Memory Lane


Today we're closing on our house and I'm more excited than I can say! The thought of having our own walls, our own yard, our own mortgage interest deduction, fills me with joy!! I was trying to think of a parallel from the past and I immediately recalled the first time I left home and moved into my "own place."

It was Fall 1993 and after spending two years at home going to community college, I was moving into an apartment at Illinois State University. I escaped the dorms (which in retrospect might not have been the best idea, I think I would have become connected with the school a lot quicker had I done the dorm thing) and I moved in with Spooky who was my best friend from high school and another girl I didn't know. We had a two bedroom apartment furnished with the most ridiculously cheap furniture you can imagine ... cheap wood with stained cushions, a rickety table and chairs and bunk beds. I'm thinking that between the three of us we were paying about $800 a month or so which was sheer highway robbery. Of course at the time I didn't care, I was so excited about being on my own. I could come home drunk, or not at all, sleep in as late as I wanted, shop for my own groceries and have my own address. It was incredibly liberating!!

My then boyfriend helped me move in before he was off to college far away in Cincinnati. Despite being "so in love" ... of course it barely lasted until Christmas break. But that first day when I moved in, ready to start my life in college away from home - I felt on top of the world!!

2 comments:

JCR said...

Awww. This made me think all about the good-old ISU days. Some of my gals went back for Homecoming. I kind of wish I could have gone, too!

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I love that big ass window unit!!!!

Good luck on the house!! When I went to close on my house, I had deposited large check into my checking account so that I could pay the closing costs. Someone at the bank had messed it up and it make it appear I was $40k over drawn.

That sucked!!