Saturday, November 24, 2007

Yes I love my Mom!


I had briefly mentioned before that Momma K was coming to town and she had the distinction of being our first house guest! Since I was working all during the Thanksgiving holiday, she came out early and we had our holiday a few days early. She's not much for driving and my home town is about 7 and 1/2 hours away, so she decided to Amtrak it. At about 3:30 a.m. on Saturday morning she arrived for her first trip to Little Rock! We did some of the obvious things like went downtown to the River Market, drove past the Clinton Library ("that looks like a big trailer" - Momma K), went out for catfish and fried pickles, headed to the river and the Big Dam Bridge, visited the local tea shop which is fabulous and got stuck in Razorback football traffic ... though that was an accident.

One of her favorite things was her visit to the Bath Junkie. It's a Fayetteville, AR based bath product company and they have the best salt scrubs I've EVER found. The best part is they mix it up individually when you buy it and you get to choose the scents AND the color. I knew Mom would love it and she used her scrub and spray on lotion (called Body Dessert) pretty much every day she was here.

I think BJ was most appreciative of her cooking lessons. I'm a little apprehensive when I'm in the kitchen because I just haven't spent much time there in the past. So we took the opportunity to cook several meals together and I FINALLY uncovered the secret to cooking eggs ... hint don't have the skillet so damn hot! When it comes to Thanksgiving dinner, that's one area where I do have experience. I've hosted Thanksgiving on more than one occasion and can whip out a turkey, homemade stuffing, and mashed potatoes and gravy like nobody's business. I'm not a fan of pumpkin pie (I was thinking more of chocolate cheesecake) but BJ insisted and I made excellent use of my Uncle Dave's impossibly easy pumpkin pie recipe. Overall the meal turned out great and Mom and I had lots of bonding time in the kitchen ... albeit about two decades late since I had NO interest when I was growing up.

Momma K loved the house and quickly settled into our guest room and didn't complain a bit about the waterbed currently in there (it belonged to BJ and it was a condition of our living together .... NO WATERBED in our room!) The dogs always love it when "Grandma" visits and everyone was in good spirits. We were sad to see her go and sadly I haven't cooked since :(

2 comments:

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Wow. It really does look like a trailer. LOL.

I am glad you had a great Thanksgiving. Now learn to cook. If I can cook anyone can.

JCR said...

Your mom is so cute. I'm glad she was able to come for a visit!