Saturday, November 10, 2007

Lowe's ROCKS!!!

I'm not much of a shopper - I actually really hate shopping, but I think I have found a new mecca ... a new outlet for imprudent financial purchases - yes, blog readers that would be the home improvement store!!

Now lest you think I've never stepped foot in Lowe's or Home Depot, let me assure you that I have on occasion purchased a bolt or a screw or a thingamajig at one of these stores. My visits however have always been highly focused, a quest for something I specifically needed, and usually something that would require a sales associate to translate what I *thought* it was called - you mean it's not called a "little flexy door stopper thingee?? - into what I was looking for.

Today, BJ sent me to the Lowe's down the road from our new house on a quest for door hinges, a peep hole, and a specific drill bit. In order to be an educated shopper, I had an old hinge with me, the old peep hole and the needed drill bit written on a sheet of paper. Of course despite all of this preparation I'm pretty sure I called BJ at least four times with various questions because once I arrived I was overwhelmed by the expansiveness of it all!! Now that I actually OWN a home, things like sinks and countertops, light fixtures, faucets and crown moulding actually matter to me. Who knew that there were 20 different types of bathroom vents with different levels of suckability and loudness?? I was wandering the aisles and making mental images of my dream bathroom and kitchen, how cool that chandelier would look over the dining table and WOW I've always wanted a decorative flag pole to put those cheesy seasonal flags with turkeys and Santas on them (Merry Thanksgiving?). I had to re-focus my efforts on the needed items because I could have easily gotten lost in all the grandeur of things that would make my new home hellacool!

Of course I suppose we should actually get moved in first, but I have a feeling that I will soon come to love spending all of my hard earned money making my new home pretty :)

2 comments:

JCR said...

Oh yes, welcome to a whole new world. I, too, was completely overwhelmed my first time. But they are pretty cool places. There are so many little gadgets that made you think you can do any project in the world.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Poor BJ!!! Just wait until you want granite countertops, new windows and all those new expensive things!!! Good rule of thumb--you get granite countertops and he gets the big flat screen!!!