Saturday, December 08, 2007

mmmmmm .... cookies!

I'm sure I've mentioned at least once that I'm not much of a cook or baker or candlestick maker. What can I say? I never aspired to be the "little lady" or a stay at home type so I ignored Womanly Duties 101 in college. Despite this fact, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to take part in a holiday cookie exchange. I mean cookie goodness and an opportunity to socialize in my adopted home town with someone other than BJ? What's not to love.

**And to clarify, I thoroughly enjoy spending time with BJ, but I've been here four months and have had no girl time since I really haven't made any of my own friends yet. Some of BJ's friends and spouses are kind enough to tolerate me - but given my crazy night shift schedule and my overall terrifying fear of socializing with strangers, it makes it hard to meet new people. **

So given my shortcomings in the kitchen and the need for six dozen cookies, I stuck with what I know best - no bake cookies. This picture makes it look like I hardly took any, but this was the second tub and wasn't filled. They're a recipe from my great-grandma Sophronia that I've made a few times before and in my opinion taste fabulous! Even though they're not baked they actually are rather labor intensive. I was hoping that BJ would help with the process, but alas he was snoring on the couch when the cookie laboring was needed.

Though I was tempted to say "Screw you" when he asked for some of the cookie bootie, there really is no way that I could eat a whole bucket full of cookies on my own without injuring myself in some fashion.

And even though it was a "ladies" kindof outing, BJ came along because he's good friends with the esteemed hostess and her charming other half . He regaled BJ with tales of how awesome it is to have a brand new MacBook Pro and later on when the guests left, they showed their true ages. Just goes to show - simple minds, simple pleasures which is why I love him so much :)

2 comments:

JCR said...

Look at you!! Baking is hard. I blame my crappy cookies on the altitude, but it might be me... I made no-bake cookies for my first exchange, too. They were something with some kind of cereal and chocolate. Obviously not fabulous enough to remember.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I never aspired to be a stay at mom either, but I can cook. I can't bake worth crap. But I can cook.

Its not their true ages--they are men. We like to have fun in silly ways.