Sunday, December 02, 2007

Jingle Bell Rock!

You might be thinking, "Wow, Jenn hasn't blogged about running lately. I wonder how her training is coming?" Well the short answer is that my training has been supplanted by unpacking, decorating and all other sorts of working around the new house. I'm sure it's not the smartest thing to take two weeks off, but it's just the way it's happened so no point in going on about it.

Yesterday, BJ and I participated in the Jingle Bell Run for Arthritis which is a national series of 5K events. I had signed up for it last year when I was living in Denver, but it was ridiculously cold and I had worked the night before so I skipped it. This time around, it was about 45 degrees and sunny when we left the house and by the end of the race I was wishing I hadn't worn long sleeves it was so warm! Since I hadn't been running lately I didn't approach it as a race. I went no watch, no heart rate monitor and in the end no timing chip (I lost it somewhere between my warm up run and the start of the race ... stupid zip ties!) I just wanted to go for a run, breathe the cool air and enjoy the atmosphere! Since I had no watch I had no clue how fast I was going, and I was actually shocked when I brought it in at just under 34 minutes on the finish clock. To be honest, I was going pretty slow and I didn't feel like running - if BJ hadn't been registered as well I would have stayed home.

I'm glad I went though, it was a pretty fun event with lots of costumes, santa hats and reindeer antlers. It was also one of the few family friendly races that welcomed jogging strollers and dogs. I didn't run in the hat because it's a little too loose, but we did have jingle bells on our shoes and my pony tail holders. So it was 3.1 miles of giddy up jingle horse pick up your feet, jingle around the clock. Mix and a mingle in the jingling feet, that's the jingle bell rock!

2 comments:

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Good job on the race. I love the last sentence. Thats an awesome use of words.

Anonymous said...

Are you a nurse job seeker? Chicago is one of the country that need more nurses. Find your desired Nursing Jobs Chicago now.