Thursday, February 15, 2007

Bachelor #1 = Two Thumbs Up!

I took the plunge last night and met my first online "match" for a date in real life. We had exchanged emails, and managed to talk on the phone for over an hour without me acting like a complete idiot which seemed like a good start. I was excited to meet Bachelor #1, but cautiously optimistic because let's face it, I have no experience with online dating ...
well let's be more honest I don't have a lot of experience with dating. Period.

I could probably count on my fingers the number of first dates I've been on in the past decade so I am no Carrie Bradshaw. I also had this problem when I was younger of getting so nervous about dates that I actually threw up, luckily I've outgrown that. Now I just throw up when they turn out to be conservative Republicans who listen to Rush Limbaugh.... no just kidding ... (not really)

I have to report that it actually went well. He does not appear to be a deranged psycho, though he did warn me that he was immune to mace so if I was worried about safety, packing a tazer would be more appropriate. His original plan was sushi to which I replied, "is it safe to eat sushi in Arkansas??" There was my concern that Little Rock is pretty landlocked and the bigger concern that what the locals call "sushi" could be some nasty river dwelling fish that a hillbilly had just fetched out of the river. (Remember I'm new to the south and still a little skeptical.) He assured me that the place he had in mind had good sushi, but when we arrived it was packed. Of course being Valentine's Day, it was a popular night for couples to go out, act cheesy, and pretend like they really like each other. I had made him promise to find a non-Valentinish place because dripping candles, soft music, and heart decorations are NOT my idea of a good first date - actually any date for that matter. Instead we went to Vinos which is a cool, pizza/brew pub joint that's a little divey but a hip sort of place akin to Shakespeare's downtown for you Columbia, Mo readers. There was good conversation, tasty New York style pizza, and a finely crafted Scotch ale. It turns out that Bachelor #1 is an excellent find and apparently he is not repulsed or scared off by me because a second date is in the works.

So overall, my first real life date from an online connection??
Two Thumbs Up!

2 comments:

JCR said...

I'm so glad you had such a great date! Especially since I now live vicariously through you.

Pat W said...

This guy sounds incredible. I only hope he doesn't stoop to cheesiness and sustains his bitter enamored self. If there's any chance he's from Nebraska you may be the luckiest woman in the blogospher. If he's from Nebraska and can translate Elvish you may have found more then you can handle.