Sunday, February 18, 2007

Screw you Abercrombie!!

Today I had to go shopping for my second date with Bachelor #1. Specifically I wanted new shoes - high heels because he's tall - and flattering jeans. The shoes were no problem, I was in and out of Dillards in 10 minutes flat. The jeans, however, were a different story. All of the women reading this blog know how emotionally and physically draining it can be to buy jeans. I had decided prior to going to the Mall that if it got too rough, I'd just go home and wear my Gap jeans that I'd already worn on our first date. I mean what would be the chance that he'd notice I had on the same jeans two dates in a row?? It's not like they hadn't been washed.

So anyway, I tried Dillards (too confusing they don't just have a denim section, it's all thrown around the store based on brand), Express (too casual looking and the fancy jeans were all too long) Gap (again too casual looking) and finally Abercrombie and Fitch. Honestly I don't know that I've ever bought anything there but I figured what the hell?? I quickly found some nice looking denim in a dark wash that were low rise and boot cut. Perfect!! Then I realized that at eye level, the sizes were 0,2, and 4. For you boys reading, that's starving, anorexic and really thin of which I am neither. I could see perched high above my head all of the larger sizes including the size 8's I was coveting. Basically I tried my tip toes and couldn't reach, then stood on the bottom shelf and could barely reach high enough to snatch them down. The size 10s and up (the average American woman is a 12) - you would have needed a ladder. I looked at the other denim displays and noticed the same thing, the sizes for "normal" sized women were out of reach. It makes me wonder what message they're trying to send to their consumers? Unless you're painfully thin, please don't shop here?? I did try the jeans on and they looked fantastic which left me no choice but to buy them. I'll admit, however, that the experience left a slightly sour taste in my mouth. Shopping for jeans is hard enough without Abercrombie playing these vicious head games with women who actually choose to consume food as part of their daily diet.

1 comment:

JCR said...

Don't go to the Buckle, either. About a year ago I was looking for cute jeans, and I found a pair that looked nice. I was looking in the mirror outside my dressing room, and the salesperson, who was pretty young, said to me, "Those are my mom's favorite jeans." I left!