Saturday, February 03, 2007

It ain't Illinois but it can't be that bad???

Yesterday I hooked my little rental trailer to the Matrix, loaded up the "kids" and headed out from Springfield. While I was home I had a hitch installed, and the investment was well worth it and packing was a breeze with all of that extra space. I stopped by my Mom's office on the way out of town and showed off my traveling rig. It handled well but backing up was definitely not my forte, it took me about 5 minutes just to pull out of my parents driveway!


We stayed overnight in Forrest City, Arkansas which was about 40 miles from Memphis and 90 miles from Little Rock, so today marked my first full day in Arkansas!
My first impressions are a bit mixed ...

the following were concerning:
-I-40 is the worst flipping stretch of highway I've ever driven on that was still considered an "interstate!" It's not only rough and poorly kept, but traffic was at a literal standstill for miles and miles due to rubbernecking of a trailer truck turnover that was no where near the actual lanes!
-at my first stop for gas across the border I noticed that next to the tasty cappuchino machine was a jar of pickled pigs feet?!?
-when I returned my trailer at UHaul in Little Rock there was an entire family that only shared about 10 teeth amongst themselves. I'm sure they're very nice but it just made the dueling banjoes song go through my head.

the positive things I've noticed so far:
-it was sunny and 50 degrees which felt like a tropical paradise compared to Denver and the midwestern ice age
-driving around my neighborhood I noticed lots of runners pounding the sidewalks which was refreshing given that Arkansas is one of the most overweight states in the nation, and it makes me think there might be some good races to be found around.
-the area is quite scenic, a lot like southwest Missouri, and I'm on the edge of the metro area so it looks like some good hiking and trail runs will be a close drive

My apartment is quite nice and I have a garage for my new car ... though it's one of those tiny garages with a recessed entry so I'm already dreading the day that I whack a mirror while pulling out. (Thank goodness I didn't buy that Hummer or massive truck with duelies). I start my job on Monday and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will go well. After being out of work for three weeks it's going to be a shock to the system to actually work - but having no money is definitely a worse shock!!

No comments: