Monday, February 05, 2007

I'm definitely in the south!

It wasn't so much the kindly southern drawls and "you'all"s that clued me in, rather it was my visit to the supermarket. After picking up my boneless, skinless chicken breasts, I noticed an entire freezer case of what can best be described as auxiliary meat products. There at the local Kroger was a fine array of calf liver, pig ears, pig's feet, necks, and of course chitlins' or as one bucket proclaimed, "chitterlings." I actually had to call my Mom and ask what the heck a chitlin' was and as I suspected, it is a part of the animal that I could only be induced to eat if competing on Survivor for the million dollars.

I also learned at my local wine and liquor shop that about half of Arkansas is dry - and I'm not talking about the climate. Where I grew up, one for the road literally meant that the bartender put my Dad's Pabst in a plastic cup so he could take it for the drive home ... the concept of dry would therefore be quite foreign to my understanding.

It's amazing that I'm only one state south of Missouri (or as they say in the south "Mizzoura") but I suddenly feel like I'm smack dab in the middle of Dixie! And did I mention the ginormous churches?? HUGE complexes the size of my high school placed on hilltops throughout the city. Makes me think that I should just keep my heathen mouth shut when the topic of "where do you go to church?" comes up.

1 comment:

ObfusK8 said...

Sure you're not in Dallas?!? LOL. Sounds like home, especially with all the "parts" in the supermarket ;) I have a college friend who lives in South Texas and at certain times of year, they have entire hogs in the grocery store (heads and all)! Ewww...