Friday, February 09, 2007

Weather Wimps!

I grew up and have lived most of my life in the Midwest so during winter I expect it to be cold, miserable and sometimes containing snow or ice. I think that having winter is important because it forces a person to appreciate spring, summer and flannel pajamas and overall is just a necessity of life. Apparently, if I had grown up in Little Rock, or any other place in the more southern part of our country, I would feel MUCH differently.

My first notice that me and Toto weren't in Kansas was when I was leaving work yesterday morning. It was cool, probably low 40s and I just had on my North Face fleece, dollar store gloves and thought it felt quite refreshing - just the kind of weather I love running in. I passed a middle aged man walking towards me when I got out the door who smiled and said, "Whew that's cold out there!" Then crossed the street with a nurse who was shivering in her winter coat, gloves and scarf saying, "Man it's cold!" to which I replied, "it feels kindof nice to me, of course I just moved here from Colorado." She told me that she was raised in Louisiana and "this is just too much!" On the drive home the local weather news indicated, "Bundle up" and "artic front" the whole time I'm thinking it's decent for February.

Today at 35 degrees it was so bad that there was now a new crime spree in Little Rock...

Man's SUV Stolen While Warming Up in Cold
Reported by: Kim Betton, KARK 4 News
02/09/2007 04:10pm
At least four vehicles were stolen across Little Rock while warming up Friday according to police. One of the victims said he looked out his apartment window only to find his SUV gone. The victim said he then jumped into his girlfriend's car and followed the suspect - and shortly afterward police began to chase the suspect as well. It all ended at 12th and Cleveland when the suspect crashed into a utility poll. There were no injuries. The teen is now behind bars. Police are warning motorists it's against the law to warm up vehicles unattended. In fact they are beefing up patrols to issue citations to violators.

and here I was thinking it was pretty damn nice! It just goes to show that it's all relative.

2 comments:

Travis said...

Thanks for checking in on me. The race should be good. My ITband is a little sore, but I think I'll be fine. Though with 15000 feet of elevation change, its going to be abused. I would love 35 degrees. It's 15(KC) here right now with a high of 28.. nice day for a run huh? :)

Anonymous said...

Ha, I totally relate. Granted, Colorado has been cold lately, but not as cold as Chicago ever was. If your lungs don't hurt when you breathe, then it's not cold. The same goes for humidity. People think Denver is so humid. They have obviously never had the pleasure applying makeup with sweat dripping down their face.